Being a dog owner comes with a lot of responsibility- you have to know what they need, for they will not talk to you or leave a note. It is your job to read their emotions- understand whether they are happy, sad or anxious. You should know that emotional problems, such as dog anxiety, are quite normal in dogs. However, if left unchecked, it could lead to severe dog anxiety disorder and behavioral problems. So, if you suspect that your dog is suffering from anxiety, here are few tips on how to identify and ease your dog’s anxiety.
A) Common dog anxiety indicators
Here are a few common signs that show that your dog may be suffering from anxiety.
- Excessive barking
- Urinating in the house
- Destructive behavior
- Compulsive behavior
- Digging or trying to escape enclosures
- Tail tucking
- Shaking or trembling
B) How to ease dog anxiety
- Treats: Licking can be soothing for dogs. It helps divert attention and keep your dog occupied and relaxed.
- Massage: Sometimes, all your dog needs is a little attention to help ease anxiety. To show attention, you gently massage your dogs’ ears and forehead. It helps release tension.
- Audio simulation: Playing soft background music has proven to be an effective way to cool down stress not only for human but also for humans.
- Situation avoidance: It involves avoiding or preventing situations that may cause a dog’s anxiety.
- Training: Obedience training has proven to be an effective way of tackling dog anxiety. It helps build trust with your dog. This way, you can control and command your dog to should from anxiety sources.
If your dog has a severe anxiety disorder, it is essential that you sort help from your vet for corresponding solutions.